Monday, February 11, 2008

Could You Say "NO"?

So, since my last post I decided to take my own advice. My health being one of the reasons and this adorable girl being another. When she continued to come up to me and say, "Mommy, can't you quit your job so that you can just be there when ever I need you?" and then give me THAT face. What would you do. EXACTLY!! So, this post is to let you all know that I am back to the old me, the one that does what she really loves. No more, 60 hours a week for a non-profit. I am back to my kids and catering and real estate!! I love it already. "Why?" you ask. Well, here are the top five reasons I realized not working full time is great!!

1. I can stay in my jammies all day (if I want)

2. I am "never" late picking up my kids from school

3. I can read a book in the middle of the day and if I dose off, WHO CARES!!

4. If someone calls me and asks what I am doing, sometimes I have to make something up because saying "nothing" and that being the truth makes me feel guilty.

5. If I get the urge to see a movie, get a pedicure, go the the mall, go to lunch, call a friend, read a book, watch t.v., be on the computer reading blogs, bake some cookies, clean my house (not likely), take a nap, I CAN!!!

I would love for you all to share with me your own private secret of why you love not having to work full time. (I know being a mother is more than a full time job and it is truely harder...) BUT, what do you all like to indulge in that we aren't supposed to admit. We all do it so don't act like you don't. Okay, maybe Amber doesn't, but the rest of us do. So, fess up and let me know.

Oh, and here is a movie quote...I want you all to guess this one. I know it is probably too easy.

"Those of us that can't do, teach, and those that can't teach, teach gym."

9 comments:

Craig and Jessica Smith said...

Love the post and I have to say that I love getting a diet coke and geting a pedicure. As for your movie quote I think it is Summer School. I had no idea you had quit your job!! I will have to call you and get the details.

heather said...

Should I point out that you're never late to pick up your kids unless you are having a pedicure. There are so many reasons why I enjoy being a stay at home mom. Outside of being available for my kids, I can take a nap or just crawl back into bed once I have Zac off at school. Or I can go to lunch with friends when I want to. Which I don't think I do enough of. But glad to have you back, thanks for coming and getting a mani/pedi with me. When I picked Max up from school he said,"Nice nails mom, did you get that done today?" and the quote is from School of Rock, only because I was at your house when I heard it.

Mandee said...

Mine would be laying on the couch in my pajamas until 10am. Since my little boys aren't in school yet, I have yet to indulge in mani's & pedi's on the fly!

Unknown said...

Love the post! Good for you! One thing I love about not having to work full time is I get to exercise when I want to! I can put it off all day! Well, if I do that I usually don’t get it done.

Kenley said...

I think my favorite indulgence is... um...

I guess I don't have time for one, but that just goes with the territory, I guess.

I'm glad to hear that you only have three full time jobs now! (Mothering all who come near you, real estate and catering). Now you should have gobs of time for the simple pleasures!

See you soon.

Kristin said...

I would have to say I love baking cookies and then making "multiple" trips to the kitchen all day long to eat them (oh ya, I also love that no one will see or say anything)!

Dan K Shaw said...

What would I do if I didn't work full time.... I am drawing a complete blank as that has never crossed my mind or been an option. I am so proud of you for quiting and getting back to what is important. Love you

Denice said...

Yee-haw! You are home again!! Yea for you!!! (can I just be a little bit more excited?) Great decision, Emily! I have to say, I love being a stay-at-home mom, and you probably know I never, ever thought I would. If I never have to work for anyone else again, it will be too soon (unless I ever get to teach at SLCC in a very part-time way) Guilty little secrets . . . hmmm. . . I love to put Nathan down for a nap while Rebekah is at school, and then scrapbook, email, google stuff, sew (not usually), organize stuff, and oh yeah, NAP!!

Nicole said...

My indulgence . . .Feeling like I'm on top of the world. Let me explain. I hate feeling like I'm one step behind everyone else in getting things done.
They say that what you think about or do in your spare time when you have no obligation to do it, is what you love and will excel at doing. Everyone has that list of desired or wishful projects that never ends. I could never get myself to feel good about doing what I wanted to do until the "chores" were done.
So, if I could quit my job I would finish the "chores", start and conquer my project list and feel like I was ahead and on top of the world!