Friday, January 18, 2008

Call 911!!!

Okay, so it isn't that bad. But, I do have an idea. You all know that I have heart disease. About a month ago my cardiologist got this brilliant idea to hook me up to this "event monitor." They call it that because it is an EKG machine that you wear 24 hours a day and it records "events" of your heart. I think that they should call it what it really is, a "pain in the ass" monitor.

Anyway, this brilliant machine knows when your heart is doing something that it shouldn't and then it "beeeeeeeeeps" and records like a fax machine an EKG. It is actually pretty cool machine, at least it would be if it only went off a couple of times a day, not 3-7 times an hour. For me it has been kind of helpful because any of you that know me, I tend to be a little of a go getter. I tend to over do it a little. This machine has basically stopped me in my tracks for a little while. It has told me "hey, chicka you have heart disease and you need to SLOW down!!" Usually, when I don't feel well I just keep on truckin' and don't listen to my body; however, with this little machine it is hard not to listen. The dang thing beeeeeeps all day long telling me to sit my butt down.

So, I was thinkin' this may not be a bad idea. We should all have something kind of like this in our lives. Something that lets us know, "hey, take a breath, look at life!" We need something that makes us remember what is really important. So, this is the purpose of my post this week. I am going to be your "event monitor," only a little less annoying. I am going to remind you all to take a minute to take a deep breath and think about what really makes you happy. Is is your kids, your house, your significant other? What ever it is spend more time with them. Life is short, too short don't waste it doing menial things that in the end won't matter. Kiss your kids more, tell your husband you love him (when you are angry), it is the small things that make a difference. When you do these things just think, at least you don't have to have that beeeeping noise reminding to live life to the fullest!!!

9 comments:

Terri said...

Emily dear please let me know when you can get together. Call me 358-1546. Love the post and the pictures and the sweet, sweet comments on how to take life slower. I absolutely agree. Love you and CALLLLLL MEEEE.

Nana said...

Sweetheart, this is a great post...promise to take your own advise and try not of conquer the world in one day. I'm not sure how you are going to do this, you have been this way since you were born. However, I am sure you will figure it out, you always do! You are loved.

Amber said...

I love your post and it is so important to enjoy the things that truely matter. Just thinking about you makes me tired, PLEASE slow down! Listen to your heart, both phyiscally and emotionally, do only those things that matter. I will take you advice by not rushing the snuggles with my kids!

heather said...

I heard once that you shouldn't be the first one to let go of a hug with your kids. It turns out they hold on much longer than you think. Thanks for reminding me to remember the small things. You need to slow down, how are you going to be able to do our monthly dinners?

emily said...

I will always make time for our monthly dinners, they are more important than my kids...just kidding...almost!!

Dan K Shaw said...

Thanks for reminding me of what is important and to tell those I love that I love them. I love you

Rach, Mike, Allie and Hadley said...

I wore red today for you! Go RED for Women!

Kev and Aubs said...

Thanks for teh beeeeep! Life gets so crazy with everything always happening. I definitely need to be more patient with the boys and find time to be with Kev! You are great and I am sure you deserve some down time, so take it.

Nicole said...

Emily. You know when you have your first fight or break up. . . you think life is over and will never be the same. Well our big one was when we were dating and I was so distraught that I promised God that if I could have devin and things would work out in my favor, than I would never take advantage of the fact that forever with him would be bliss. I think that I took advantage of him and that promise last night and reading you posts was a well deserved slap in the face! Thank you for the life-deep. I needed it. You are so positive to turn this around and help others. Look at the responses you have had! From the Kelly Shaw family: we love you and are thinking of you!