Tuesday, October 28, 2008

DC "not down computer" but as in Washington!!

So, it is official that I have not blogged forever and I am sorry about that. Really I don't have a good excuse other than at first I didn't have anything worth blogging about, then I just got out of the habit. So with my head down in shame, I return, to tell a tale of travel. We took our children to our Nations capitol for a week and what a week it was. We had so much fun and saw so many wonderful things. If any of you know my husband, which I am sure many of you do, allow me to describe what it is like to go to Washington D.C. with someone like him. You know that movie Vacation where Chevy Chase is kind of an idiot and does all that dumb stuff on their way to Wally World. He knows absolutely nothing about where they are going and then when they get there Wally World is closed and he goes ballistic! Ryan is NOTHING like that. Going to Washington D.C. with Ryan is much like going with Rand McNally, Rick Steves, and a Docent all in one. There really wasn't much he didn't know. It was amazing. Everywhere we went he was a wealth of knowledge. He gathered crowds at almost every museum that we went to because people either thought that he was the docent giving the tour or they just wanted to hear all the information that he was spewing forth for all to hear.



We walked everywhere and the weather was beautiful. We ate in the parks everyday and the children chased squirrels. It really was rather picturesque. We did all that we could squeeze into 6 days, so here it goes...Library of Congress..Supreme Court..Union Station..National Gallery of American Art..National Portrait Gallery..Holocaust Museum..Air and Space Museum..Archives Museum..Jefferson Memorial..White House Garden Tour..Mount Vernon..Old Towne Alexandria..Monticello..University of Virginia..The White House of the Confederacy..The Museum of the Conferedacy..U.S. Capitol..World War II Memorial..Vietnam Veterans Memorial..Lincoln Memorial..Arlington National Cemetery..Washington Monument..Forrest Service National Headquarters..Bureau of Printing & Engraving..Renwick Gallery!! WOW!!

What a great time. We loved spending time with the kids and spending time in our Nation's Capitol. It was just buzzing with the election only a week away.










Marshall was named after the Supreme Court Justice John Marshall, here he is standing next to a statue of John Marshall. There were many pictures and statues of John Marshall and I made Marshall stand in front of them all for a picture, he got so sick of it. I thought it was cute and funny!














Here the kids stand next to the President of the United States!! (We can only hope this is true by Nov. 5th!)












Me and the kids in front of the National Monument!






The kids and the Jefferson Memorial








The kids and the White House. We got a great tour right on the White House grounds, so the kids really are that close to the White House. We were able to walk almost up to the front door, only problem was there was a secret service guy telling us we couldn't go in. Oh, well.





The fam in front of George Washington's house. This was my favorite day. What an amazing estate! We got to see the very room in which he died and his property was so beautiful. This is a must see if you find yourself back east. We learned so much about our first President.








Cute rascals at the reflecting pool, I am sure not reflecting on what a great trip they are having; however, maybe when they are older they will remember how great it was.








Look how small the kids are with good ole Abe! I tell you these monuments are amazing.










13 comments:

Trevor and Brooke said...

Glad to see you are back blogging! I loved DC when we went. There is so much you can learn by just being there!

Ashley said...

LOVE D.C.!! Sounds like you guys saw it all! Ryan does sound like the perfect tour guide. And fun to know where Marshall got his name...had no idea! SO happy to have you back blogging...GO Obama!

Rach, Mike, Allie and Hadley said...

I LOVE DC!!!! I would go there every year if I could. In Florida, all 4th graders go on a week trip there. Growing up, we just went to the Zoo!

Denice said...

Awesome photos! Your kids will always remember that you took them to our nation's capital and how important this trip was. It looks like you really had a great time!! (where do I sign up?)

Nana said...

So glad that you had a wonderful time in DC. I'm sure the kids will remember it always. Except for the Obama picture they were all adorable. So glad that you are blogging again...we want to see all the quilts that you have been making! Hope to see you tomorrow.

Craig and Jessica Smith said...

Holy Crap I thought you had died! I am so glad that you are back! I have missed you so much! That is so pathetic because I should just call you and see how you are! It looks like you had a great time in DC! The only time I have been there, is when we went in High School. I would love to go back and take my kids!

We need to get together and go to dinner! I will talk to you soon! Love you!

married with children said...

did you know that's where i served my mission? i love d.c....thanks for your comment emily!! i always look hammered during the week - no shower, usually, and wearing the clothes i slept in! it's a season.
check out the recipe i have on today's blog! see you soon!

dan shaw said...

Assume trip!! Ryan does have a wealth of knowledge, it is goog to know that he has listened to his father inlaw and retained the imput of important facts (NOT) Keep the traveling going as you know from your experience it serves as a great education and broadens kids minds. I would suggest a trip to Malta just so they are well rounded.

Great job! Love you guys

GO Ralph Nader!!!

Nicole said...

It has been way too long sinse you have posted!!! We were just in DC too! That is such a neat experience to take your kids there. It leaves such a better impression when you can actually see the monutment and tour the preserved evidence. You are such a great mom! Hope life is going well!

Kristin said...

Love the photos and glad to see you back. Kenley and I loved visiting D.C.!

Amber said...

What a great trip. I would love to take my kids there some day. It is such a great experience for them. Other than being totally tired by the end, it looks like you had a great time.

Unknown said...

I love it there! I am so jealous! That fam pic of you guys is so draling!

Unknown said...

I love it there! I am so jealous! That fam pic of you guys is so draling!