Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Soundtrack of Our Lives!!

We took our family to see James Taylor in concert two nights ago. People often and when I say people I mean Heather and Byron often make fun of us and say that we never really listen to a variety of music, which might be true. I say not, but why bicker and argue. However, Ryan and myself have been life long listeners of James Taylor. I remember growing up and listening to my parents listen to James and hearing Fire & Rain in the background of my childhood. As I got older James was always a part of my life and when I started dating Ryan I can remember the exact moment I was sitting in his Jetta listening to James on his tape player and he was singing along to Copperline and I thought to myself, I am going to spend the rest of my life with this man. So it was obvious when I sat at my first James Taylor concert in California 7 months pregnant with Marshall that I wanted James to be a part of my children's lives. Once my kids were born Sweet Baby James was the first song their father sang to them and the last song he sang every night before they went to bed, so it seemed apropos that they both fell asleep at the concert when James Taylor sang Sweet Baby James.

James Taylor has been the soundtrack of our lives and has been there for us through many ups and downs. It was quite an evening to finally share it with our children and know that his music has passed through so many generations. So, thank you James for giving of your music so selflessly for so many years. And for "Showering the people you love with love!"


9 comments:

Nana said...

Yea!! Sweet James! It always calms me down to listen to him. I'm glad that you were able to go to the concert. Tell us what you liked about "Breaking Dawn" or what you didn't like. I have to remind myself that it was written for teenagers.

Denice said...

What a great concert and what a great thing to have James Taylor music as the music of your lives! I think everyone (except maybe your sister!) loves James Taylor!

Christie Stewart said...

I also love James. Fire and Rain gets me everytime. I bet that was so fun. I am jealous!!!

Aubrey said...

I am definitely a fan of James Taylor. He is and always will be 'classic'.

devin24 said...

Wow. You have a great memory of the important things in your life! That is neat and I'm so happy that you are accomplishing your goal of sharing James!!! As for your comment.....if I didn't feel bad already about not being at the reunion....you are killing me!! We are in Denver right now on our way to Pittsburgh with a huge moving van and no money! I couldn't be happier except the fact that I wish I could GO TO THE SHAW REUNION!!! Please think of me and have a blast for me there though....and yes I know there is no good excuse to miss a Shaw reunion but I will be semi-satisfied if you with post a HUGE post with pictures so that I can feel like I didn"t miss out too much! Thank you for all of your great...meaningful comments. Be safe traveling. Miss you and tell everyone hi!

Dan K Shaw said...

JT is a classic act. can't count the times I have seen him and it never gets old. He has gone from 4track to 8 track to cassett tape to cd to ipod. quality is fun to enjoy no matter how old it is. HUH that just like me. Love you guys

married with children said...

hey emily! love the fun new blog design. having a good summer...or is it now over in utah? hey, i found a blog that these sister's have about good recipes and thought you and judy would like to take a peek...maybe you've already seen it but it: www.sisterscafe.blogspot.com
let me know if you find some good recipes there. be well!
suzy

Nicole said...

You are killing me! I miss your posts! By the way, I was devin24!

Andrea said...

Emily, how are you? I usually don't look at other's blogs, but I saw yours on Jessie's blog. So great to see you. You look like you're fabulous!