Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I've Got HEART!!!


Most of you already know this, but those of you that stalk my blog or don't know this, I decided to post my good news. Forgive me for being a little verbose, but it is late and my kids are asleep so I may feel the need. Most, if not all of you know that I was diagnosed with heart disease about three years ago. It came as quite a blow to me and my family. The news however, gave me a fresh look on life. I decided to stop staying angry at people, to laugh more (if that is even possible), enjoy my kids more, not worry about how clean my house is every second, to say "okay, so I'm not a perfect mom, but I am a pretty good mom and that is okay," to kiss my kids every day and tell them I love them, and lastly, to make sure that I had something in my life that was bigger than me that gave my life purpose.

Many of you know that I have volunteered with Huntsman Cancer Foundation for many, many years now. Well, about a month ago the American Heart Association called me, yes, you heard me, THEY called me. I was shocked!! Anyway, they called and said that they had heard about the work I had been doing up at Huntsman and they offered me a job to be their Director for their Go Red for Women Campaign. After I fell out of my chair I said I would think about it. I was flattered, but also concerned about leaving Huntsman (concerned, but then also remembered that they didn't pay me!). In the end however, I could think of now better cause, having heart disease myself, with a nephew born with a valve problem, a grandmother that just had triple bypass, and a sister that died of congenital heart failure, then the American Heart Association.

So, my good news is that today I accepted a job with the American Heart Association as their new Director of their Go Red for Women Campaign. I am in charge of raising $150,000. So, I will accept check, Visa, Master Card, American Express, or CASH!!!!

Don't worry I didn't forget in the midst of all my hustle and bustle to give you all a movie quote. Oh, hey, did you all notice my Heart music on the side!! Tee Hee, I am funny, right? You have to love that. I remember going to the Heart concert when I was in high school and thinking that I was sooo cool. Heather, don't mention what happened at the concert, we don't need to relive those bad memories, just the good ones!! Okay, okay, the movie quote.

Movie Quote:

"Do you want me to take you back to where your from, unemployed in Greenland?"

15 comments:

heather said...

Em-
Congratulations! I'm very excited for you. You deserve it and I know you will do any incredible job. Their lucky to have you. My credit card number is 123456789 just throw the whole 150K on it. I don't think Byron would mind. As for the movie quote it's Princess Bride!

Denice said...

Wow, I'm impressed Heather!! I knew that quote sounded familiar, but I confess, I'm horrible at guessing movie quotes! (I mean it . . . anybody want a peanut?)
Emily, I've said it already, but congratulations again! I think this is a great job for you, and something you can really enjoy doing. Like you said, it is something in your life that's bigger than yourself. Good luck!! You are going to be great!!

Katie said...

Congrats Em! That's so exciting. You will do an amazing job! Heather's right - they're lucky to have you. And yes...I knew it was Princess Bride right away. So classic.

Kristin said...

Congratulations! Your new job will be so exciting! They are lucky to have you on their team! I actually got the movie quote...Princess Bride!

nana said...

Sweetheart I am so proud of you!! This calling found you, I know you will be wonderful. I love the music that you picked, but when ever I hear Heart I think of the concert we all went to on your birthday and you lost your tube top! Yes, tube top. What was I thinking when I let you wear "Units"! Now everyone can ask you what happened.

Dan K Shaw said...

WE couldn't be more proud!!! You will do a great job. They don't know how lucky they are to have you. As I said when we talked, we will do what ever we can to help you.

Love you.

emily said...

Thanks a lot MOM!! I thought I said don't mention what happened at the Heart concert. I know I said Heather don't mention it, but I never thought that my mother would out me!! Where's the love?

Tausha said...

Emily,

You'll do great! Just send all of your realestate business my way! J/K

Sorry I haven't come by to see your kitchen. Check out my wive's blog and you can see pictures of our kitchen that I just ripped out. werethegriswalds.blogspot.com!

Thanks,

Andrew

PS If you can, change your link to Andy's blog instead of the Brinton Family in case you have any sex offender friends (J/K), I am just really cautious about this blogging thing!

Thanks!

I will never forget those months during your heart issues, and I am so greatful that you are okay!

Trevor and Brooke said...

Congrats Em! Does this mean you are leaving real estate? You will be perfect for the job.

Christie Stewart said...

What a compliment. That is really awesome. I am excited for you and your new adventure. I am friends with the Assitant Dean for the Humanities Department at the U. He is over fundraising and Alumni Relations. I have no clue if this contact would be of any use to you, but I know he is great at fundrasing. He raised $4 million for the Hinkley foundation and many other organiztions. Keep it in mind in case it could help you in any way! Congrates!

Unknown said...

That is so cool! How are you feeling these days?

emily said...

Thanks for asking Whit, I have good days and bad days. I try really hard to get a lot done on the good days and then try to listen to my body on the bad days and not over do (I smile when I say that because, I am known for doing that!). I have a husband that for some reason wants to keep me around for a while so I try to be good.

Terri said...

That is incredible Emily!!!! I loved your comments on enjoying life better. What a rewarding position that you will have. Good Luck! And hey...Love you Diane for spilling the beans. The funny thing is I didnt even know that happened and we were best friends in High School. Hmmmm
When can you get together?!

Kenley said...

I know that I'm late to this party, but:

"Are there rocks ahead?"

"If there are, we'll all be dead!"

Good luck with the fund raising and all.

Amber said...

Emily,
Congratulations! You will be so perfect for the job. They are so lucky to have you. Knowing you there will be no problem raising 150k! Good Luck and lots of love.