Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Breakfast at Tiffany's???




For Mother's Day this year I got my very first official "Blue Box"!!! Yes, that is an actual picture of my blue box from Tiffany & Co. The reason that I blog about it is not to brag about it, (which is so me to want to do), and don't get me wrong I am bragging about it too because I LOVE IT!!

I would love to share the exchange in which my Tiffany's moment happened.
Emily: (sent an email of the Tiffany's website) Hey honey, I thought that just in case you were wondering what might be a great gift for Mother's Day, here is an idea. I love you tons. Emily.
Ryan: Knock yourself out. Happy Mother's Day.

Yes, that is the end of the entire conversation. I tried to explain to him that it really is the thought that counts and I didn't care so much about the gift and that all he had to do was go to the website and click. I had tried to make it easy enough so that very little effort would have to be made on his part.

However, to my sad dismay he refused. So, yes, I did get my first blue box for Mother's Day, but I bought it, I picked it out, I called Tiffany's, I told them where to send it, and when it came I gave the blank card to Ryan and said, "here did you want to say anything to me on the card." His response....laughter.

I know wipe your tears. I just had to get it off my chest. But the real reason that I did was to remind myself that is the very reason I married Ryan. I know that most of you have heard this story so sit tight while I tell it again.

When I was first dating Ryan I was dating someone else. The kindest nicest guy I have every met, (for the purpose of anonymity we will call him Shawn). Shawn and I had gone to Vegas for the weekend and I was blow drying my hair. Shawn was in a completely different room of the house. I yelled his name, within seconds he was standing in front of me asking me what he could do for me. I was just wondering what time it was. I thought to myself, wow, he is really attentive. Not long after that I was in Vegas with Ryan. I was blow drying my hair yet again and Ryan was in the same different room so I thought to myself that I would do a little experiment. So I yelled his name. I hear him yell back, "What!" I ask what time it was and he yells, "Don't you have a watch?" I remember smiling and thinking to myself that this was the guy for me.

I told my mom this story soon after and she asked me why I would rather have Ryan and I said, "Shawn would give me the world if I wanted it and wait on me hand and foot, but I don't want that I want someone that I know loves me the world over and would give it to me only if I came and got it myself."

So, this Mother's Day was just another small reminder of why I married Ryan and didn't marry Shawn. I have to continue to remind myself that's what I wanted, but when I look into his big blue eyes it isn't hard to remember. Oh, and the fact that he still worships the ground I walk on...that makes it easier too.



This is the cake that I made for Ryan's mom on Mother's Day. We had a great meal at her house on Sunday and I brought dessert. Ryan said that this is the best cake that I have ever made. I am not sure if he was trying to make up for the Tiffany's thing or if he really loved it, but it was pretty tasty. It was a lemon lime cake with lemon curd in between the layers with butter cream icing. It was very spring and refreshing.

I hope that you all had a great Mother's Day. I am still on my Stephenie Meyer high because The Host was fabulous!! I loved the book, if you read it please post a comment because I am dying to talk to those that read it. And it has been a while since I had a movie quote, so if you made it though my rant here it is...

"She is expecting."
"What, a social security check!"

8 comments:

Nana said...

You and Ryan have a one in a billion relationship!! But you didn't tell everyone what it was you got. It wasn't just the blue box was it. I want you to know that I have never had a little blue box...you have passed me on that one. Love Ya

Christie Stewart said...

You crack me up for many reason!

1. There will be no recount! Brooke won fair and square.
2. You bought your own Mother's Day gift.

I can't wait for the next book club or Vegas Girls night out. I need a good dose of Emily from time to time.

emily said...

I didn't tell you all what I got in the blue box because that is not the point of the story and because if you want to know you have to take me to lunch and I will show it off.

I am excited about book club also Christie, I miss you.

heather said...

Are you sure it wasn't just the little blue box? The cake looks incredible.

Nicole said...

You are so cute!! You cake is incredible!!! I'm so jealous that you can do fondant. I'm going to have to get that recipe from you. About traveling. We have been talking about it. We want to get a sky miles credit card and run all of our tuition and house on it in the next 6 months. Hopefully we can wrack up enough to get to Europe for our first summer in Pittsburgh!!

Denice said...

What a CUTE cake!! I was scrolling down and saw this cute thing in the next picture, and wondered if that was what you got from Tiffany's (before I really looked at the picture, of course!) But unless I missed it, what did you order??

Christie Stewart said...

Tim has 4 kids now. The taller two in the back of the picture are his boys. The little girl on the left side of the pictures with the pig tails and arm floaties is his oldest girl. He also has another little girl that isn't in the picture. The two kids on the right of the picture, kind of on the chair, are Alicia two oldest kids. She has one more. The other two are mine. They are the funnest little people.

Hopefully I will see you guys tonight. I am waiting to hear if my ex can take the kids. So, we will see.

lori said...

i live too far to take you to lunch. . . what's in the blue box?! :)