Saturday, May 31, 2008

For Kristen!!

So Kristen (my wonderful step-sister-in-law) or as I like to call her, my sister, has been the inspiration for many things in my life. The newest of which is my inspiration to learn to quilt. She has been this amazing quilter for years and I have always wished I knew how, so I took it up! I have a dear friend, Diane (not my sweet mom), that took it upon herself to teach me how. With her guidance and my mothers sewing skills, yes, skills, I have been quilting up a storm. My first quilt I blogged the square a while ago. I finished the quilt and then sent it out to be finished on top and apparently the woman who does it is raising the silk worms or the lambs for the wool to make the thread to then use to quilt on the top of my quilt. Either that or she thought that it was sooo beautiful that she is claiming it as her own and taking it to the world fair and winning a blue ribbon as we speak!!
Anyway, while I wait I decided that I would just make them on my own. So yes, I talked my dear sweet husband into buying me the machine of my dreams. Here is a picture of my next creation. It is a quilt that I have made for my sweet little niece Reese!! She will get it when I see her at the beach in July. I don't think that my sister-in-law checks my blog much so I think it will still be a surprise. Anyway, there are still many mistakes because I am learning, but I think that it is adorable. It is as soft as can be and I sewed a jingle bell in it so it makes noise! How fun is that.


The next quilt is a quilt in the making. I am making it for my other sister-in-law Tricia who is having a baby. I have a sneaking suspicion that she is having another boy so I have been making this quilt for her. If I find out differently then I will make another one, but I just have a feeling that it is a boy. Anyway, I think that it is just so fun with all the Dick and Jane fabric.

Anyway, this post is for Kristen to tell her thank you for all of your inspiration! You are the best. I only wish you lived closer so that we could quilt together. Now you only have to tell me what you are having and I will quilt something for you. I know that it won't be as gorgeous as what you can make, but I have learned in the short time I have quilted that it is all about the time and effort that goes into the quilt. It is all about the love and thought that goes into it. I can't wait to make one for you!



These are some cute pictures that I forgot to blog of my mom and Kate. My mom took Kate to go and see Annie when it was in town and these are from their night on the town!!

7 comments:

Nana said...

I'm so proud of you, these quilts are wonderful!! It is so great that you like sewing...I think you have inspired me to try quilting.

Kate and I had a great time at "Annie" it reminded me when we went, when you were my little girl. Of course you still are. Do you remember when Amber had the whole score memorized? And where she would sing it?

Denice said...

Well I am excited about the Dick and Jane fabric! It is so vintage and so cute!! I am glad that you are enjoying quilting so much! The pink one is beautiful!! (and soft!!) It was run to talk to you the other night! Thanks again for the cake! We'll have to come visiting teaching more often. . .

lori said...

well, if i remember correctly, your sister amber, would sing the entire score to annie while sitting on the toilet when she was little! :)

"the sun will come out tomorrow. . ."
"it's a hard knocked life. . ."
"you're never fully dressed without a smile. . ."

i wonder if she still does that now? we'll have to ask her kids!

anyway, i love the pictures of your quilts! you have always had such a genuine love for others and making these quilts with your own hands and giving them to those you love is just another "emily way" of your sweet love shown to others. i hope they appreciate them and treasure them, but more importantly, i hope they appreciate and treasure YOU!

i love everything about you! you are amazing!!!

Kristin said...

Emily! I love your quilts, they are so beautiful. You are full of so much creativity and endless energy. I am so happy that you love quilting as much as I do...I could "quilt talk" for hours. Please keep posting your beautiful creations. I can't wait for a quilt of my own!

Ashley said...

Way to go Emily! I have wanted to take up quilting, but just felt too overwhelmed by it. I do love a handmade quilt. I don't think that there is a more thoughtful gift in the world. And there are so many FUN fabrics...it could get seriously addicting! Let's get together this summer.

married with children said...

check you out emily...with the skills and crafts...do you wear an apron in the kitchen too - i mean, the bedroom!? haha
thanks for your comments on the blog. that chandalier will go in the new kitchen - someday!!
i didn't even notice that ian's shirt was up and that he was scratching like a monkey - that's a good one!
i saw on some blog - this gal who quilts using old baby t's and onesies - so they look like a patchwork of baby outfits. and a good way to reuse fabric.
keep it real utah girl!
suzy

Emily said...

Just so you all know I have finally viewed Emily's blog to see the adorable quilt, but like she said, I would be surprised in person and view it personally at the beach. She was right. It is SO ADORABLE. And I didn't even realize it had a bell until after Emily left the beach. I kept thinking I had a jingley toy that was in the crib. I can't believe all of the time Emily must have spent on this. It was definitely stitched with love. Reese just took her 4 month pictures on the soft, pink, fluffy side. I will get them to you asap Emily. Thanks again! I love it as does Reese!

the other Emily Harris